Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sign of the Times - Group show, Barbados


This group show previews today at Queens Park Gallery in Bridgetown at 6:30pm and will run till 30 May. It features a re-worked version of my film, Capture (2008) which can be seen as raw footage on the earlier posting 'Capture and mess up'

Notes on the work

Norfolk Street, Belmont, Port of Spain, Trinidad
Saturday, around 9pm

I am compelled to capture a small traditional house
There seems to be no life inside yet it does seem occupied
I am standing on the other side of the street
I zoom in, seemingly unobtrusive
But is this act of capturing this home, this small traditional domestic house, acceptable?

My attention is drawn towards another subject
A Trinidadian man by my side, making small talk, friendly
My companion already has her lens upon him
I join in on this unauthorised act
An act he confronts
Captured

I divert away, immediately
I am and remain uncomfortable
I return to the original subject, the house with no life inside yet seemingly occupied

Who am I when I capture this scene?
An artist, a visitor, a tourist or a female with Caribbean ancestry?

Why am I capturing this?
I am here to observe, to excavate and to document
I am here to seek opportunities to explore my heritage
I am here to claim my own iconography and symbols
I am here to re-imagine a place beyond the picturesque

No comments: